Important Notice to Libyan Students In Canada
On International Student Immigration Regulations

May 30th, 2014

Dear Libyan Students in Canada,

CBIE would like to bring to your attention some important changes to the international student immigration regulations, which take effect June 1, 2014. To ensure the validity of your student immigration status, please visit the CIC website page for Changes to the International Student Program:

Some of the key changes are:

1. All study permit holders must be actively pursuing studies while in Canada. Students must remain enrolled to keep the validity of the study permit. If a student is planning to go on hold for an extended period of time, the student may need to change their status from a student to a visitor.

2. If a student applies for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, study permits will only be issued to the successful applicants who are pursuing studies at an educational institution that has been designated to receive international students. A list of designated learning institutions will be available on the CIC website as of June 1st . If a study permit holder changes institutions, it is his/her responsibility to inform CIC.

3. Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. This applies only to full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution.

4. As of June 1, certain foreign nationals in Canada as visitors will be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada instead of being required to leave the country to apply from abroad.

We urge you to consult the CIC website which is the authoritative source of information on matters pertaining to student immigration matters. In addition to the link above, please refer to

The educational institution at which you are enrolled may be able to refer you to further information on the CIC site or to refer you to someone certified to provide immigration advice.


Canada Unit
CBIE Libyan-North American Scholarship Program