Newsletter Banner
 
Parliament Watch
Newsletter
Editorial
Editor
Editor, Ruth Aine

Hello

This month we put a lot of attention on the budget. Have you had a look at this?
It has all you need to know about the Budget 2015/16

We were so excited to have a campaign that was aimed at seeing how much the online populace knows about the Budget process. This was the tool we used. Its results will be out soon.

Other articles look at the Budget in detail in regard to different sectors.

Read further on the recently passed Anti-Terrorism Bill.

Don't forget to send us feedback. We thank you for taking time to read. 


 
Why Parliament Needs to Pass the Anti-Terrorism (Amendment) Bill, 2015 Before June 22nd 2015
Rebecca Kadaga
The Anti Terrorism (Amendment) Bill 2015 is one of the shortest bills presented to Parliament in the last ten years. The Bill is only six clauses long and is written in fairly plain text. It seeks to amend the principal Act by including and improving definitions, revisiting sanctions, and introducing legislative measures against the financing of terrorism. The Bill criminalizes the financing of terrorism and the related ways and means in which funds can be deployed for terrorist purposes.

As short as it is, this Bill not only provides the legislative premise for Police intervention but also provides the mechanisms and consequences of liability for engaging in terrorist financing. Therefore, although the Bill principally amends the Anti Terrorism Act of 2002...

The Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2015: An Analysis
 
It is presumed that the intention of a constitutional amendment process would be to address loopholes in the Constitution, either arising from oversight in the initial drafting process or from developments and lessons drawn over the years with a view to have a Constitution that represents the aspirations and concerns of the people of Uganda. Proposals for amendment are therefore intended to restore, remove or introduce key provisions that are deemed to be critical to this end.
Constitution of the Republic of Uganda

The framers of the Constitution (Amendment) Bill state its object as seeking to amend the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda in accordance with Articles 256 and 262 of the Constitution....
Govt did not lift ban on Kaveera – Hon Jim Muwhezi clarifies
Hon Betty Anywar in Parliament showcasing the different alternatives to the Kaveera that can be endorsed for use .
Hon Betty Anywar in Parliament showcasing the different alternatives to the Kaveera that can be endorsed for use .

Several media outlets including Uganda’s leading Dailies: Daily Monitor and NewVision, run stories on Government removing the ban the polythene bags. These reports were however denied by National Environmental Management Authority [NEMA], the body handling and implementing the ban.

53% of the country’s budget to be funded by borrowing yet we have existing unutilised loans
Minister of Finance Matia Kasaija at the reading of the FY 2015/2016 budget on 11 June 2015. Photo Credit; Reuters
The Uganda Revenue Authority is expected to collect about Ugx 11. 3 trillion, or rather the government is expected to finance 47% of the budget while the remaining 53% is expected to come from domestic borrowing as well as foreign aid and borrowing. Out of the Ugx 23. 9 trillion, Ugx 17. 3 trillion has been allocated for spending by Ministries, Departments and Agencies, which includes statutory expenditure amounting to Ugx 1.148 trillion. Ugx 6.643 trillion is debt repayments plus interest on total debt. The latter expenditures clearly indicate that government is borrowing to pay debts instead of borrowing to fund development ventures. Question is; where did the money for the debts we contracted to which we are borrowing to pay go? Below is an attempt to answer the question.
Read More



Share this