SENIOR  SCHOLARS

Providence United
Methodist Church

 From: Rachel Humphries <rachelhumphries@refugeesupportservices.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 2:21:57 PM EDT
Subject: Thank You

Dear Senior Scholars,

Thank you all so very much for your donation to Refugee Support Services in honor of Dr. Beth Whitaker.

We are grateful to your group’s openness to learn about refugees.  We find that when someone becomes knowledgeable about this community, that they become more interested to become personally involved.

I invite anyone in your group who may have an interest to:
1 - attend one of our  Refugee101 sessions that are held monthly on Wednesday mornings,
2 - visit our Help Center to see your donation in action,
and/or,
3 - donate $25 to purchase an Oxford Picture Dictionary for a refugee family.

Many of our staff and volunteers are former teachers, so we are all encouraged by the life long-learning you all are doing by studying the variety of topics we see on your website.

Thank you so much for sharing your gifts with Refugee Support Services and the individuals and families we serve.

The very best to all of you,
Rachel Humphries

Executive Director
P.O. Box 220224
Charlotte, NC 28222
704.458.3245

Refugee Support Services is a 501(c)3 nonprofit post-resettlement organization that helps newly-arrived refugees make Charlotte their new home.

https://www.refugeesupportservices.org/

Dr.Beth Alise Whitaker has been a Senior Scholar speaker a couple of times over the past few years. She is an associate professor of political science at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte who works on migration and security issues in Africa. She has done extensive research on the politics of African migration, including attitudes toward immigration, comparative refugee policy, and diaspora engagement in homeland politics. She has conducted fieldwork in Kenya (2005-2006, 2015, 2016), Tanzania (1996-1998, 2003), and Botswana (2005). With a grant from the Minerva Initiative of the U.S. Department of Defense, Whitaker and colleagues launched the Resources and Conflict Project to examine how the illicit funding strategies of rebel groups influence the dynamics of civil conflict. As a Fulbright Scholar in Kenya, she conducted research on U.S.-African counter-terrorism cooperation.

Dr. Whitaker is co-author with John F. Clark of Africa?s International Relations: Balancing Domestic and Global Interests (Lynne Rienner, 2018) and her articles have appeared in Political Research Quarterly, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of Peace Research, African Studies Review, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, International Migration Review, Third World Quarterly, and Journal of Refugee Studies, among others.

From 2010 to 2012, Dr. Whitaker served as chair of the African Politics Conference Group, a network of political scientists who study Africa. She worked previously at the Brookings Institution and the American Council on Education and has consulted for the U.S. Department of State, the Social Science Research Council, the United Nations Foundation, and Save the Children Fund. She received her Ph.D. in 1999 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

New Archive Feature:
Click here to enter the archive
of past presentations & e-mails

Senior Scholars Meets Friday Mornings 10 AM - 11 AM

Providence UMC, 2810 Providence Rd. Charlotte NC  28211

Do not reply to this email, use sscholars@yahoo.com for all replies.

http://www.seniorscholars.net/index.html  scrolling calendar.

http://www.seniorscholars.net/speakers-events.html monthly speakers.

Queens University  1900 Selwyn Avenue MSC 1409 Charlotte, NC 28274

What’s going on at Queens University? http://www.queens.edu/calendar

Website: www.seniorscholars.net

Email address: sscholars@yahoo.com

1900 Selwyn Avenue MSC 1409 , Charlotte, NC, 28274

Unsubscribe